Course Outline: SGDA Professional Course and Internship
SGDA Dyslexia Training
Course for Professionals
HPCSA registered professionals – optometrists, audiologists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists and psychometrists – are allowed to register for this training and offer assessment services once successfully completed.
Registration Fee: R4,850.00 per delegate
CPD Points: 24
Duration: 16 hours
After registration, you will only have access for 5 weeks to the 12 training modules – during which you have to watch all the presentations and complete the different quizzes.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Dyslexia - The Disguised Blessing
- 3. Reading & The Brain
- 4. Visually Deaf / Auditory Blind
- 5. Diagnosing Dyslexia
- 6. The Dyslexia Screening Test (DST)
- 7. The Dyslexia Determination Test (DDT)
- 8. Assignments
- 9. SGDA Professional Internship Program
- 10. Adult Dyslexia Assessment
- 11. Stark Griffin Junior Dyslexia Assessment
- 12. Accommodations for the Dyslexic Child
- Study Buddy
- Is Reading Natural?
- What is Dyslexia?
- Difficulties of Dyslexia
- ADHD & Dyslexia
- A Disguised Blessing
- Famous Dyslexics
- Reading Brain
- Mysteries of the Brain
- How the Brain Works
- Brain Learns to Read
- What is Dyslexia?
- Biological Bases of Dyslexia
- Problems in Learning to Read
- How Skilled Readers Recognize Words
- The Science of Reading
- Can You Read This?
- Right vs Left Brain
- Neuroanatomical Model of Dyslexia
- Word Decoding
- Physiology of Reading
- Inner Speech
- Visually Deaf
- Auditory Blind
- Picture Thinkers
- Trigger Words
- Internal Speech Exercises
- Diagnostic Labels
- Dyslexia is a Multidisciplinary Disorder
- Specific Learning Disorders
- Protocol to Diagnosing Dyslexia
- Direct Diagnosis
- The Basic Types of Dyslexia
- Mixed Types of Dyslexia
- SGDA Terminology
- Outlay of SGDA Assessment
- The Procedure
- English Phonetic Equivalents
- Afrikaans Phonetic Equivalents
- Phonetic Encoding
- DST Case Studies
- Dysnemkinesia (Motoric Dyslexia) Testing
- Decoding Time Criteria
- Eidetic Decoding Forms
- Mode of Decoding
- Eidetic Encoding
- Case Studies
- Summary DST & DDT
- This Is Me Heroes
- Dyslexia Screening Test
- Dyslexia Termination Test
- Case Studies
- Internship Process & Program
- Marketing SGDA Assessments Process
- The Report
- Introduction & Explination
- Adult Assessment
- Facts about Dyslexia
- Signs of Dyslexia
- Difficulties & Strengths in School
- 7 Myths About Dyslexia
- Outlay of the SGJDA Assessment
- 30 Questions Asked to Parents
- Visual Perception & Examination
- Visual Spatial Relations
- Eidetic Decoding
- Phonological Awareness Skills Test
- What should be done?
- Department of Basic Education
- Disability and/or Inability
- Choosing a Dyslexia Friendly School
- 14 Things never to say to Parents Of Dyslexic Child
- Effective Education
- Conduct Policy & SIAS Policy
- Accommodations, Exemptions & Concessions
- Assistive Techology
- Trever Ncube’s Story
Steps to completing the SGDA Professional Course and Internship
The Professional course consists of 12 modules that need to be completed in 35 days from date of registration. Each presentation of the module is followed by a quiz (pass rate = 80%) that needs to be completed before you proceed to the next presentation.
Within 6 months from completing the course and receiving CPD certification, you need to purchase a Stark Griffin Dyslexia Assessment full package in either English or Afrikaans. Half packages are available for the alternative language.
You need to administer 4 consecutive assessments, preferably on family members or friends. These internship assessments should be submitted for scoring directly after completion to subsequently address errors and preventing replicating these in following assessments.
Once these 4 internship assessments have been successfully completed, you register as a SGDA Professional and become part of the SGDA family and referral directory.
The recommended cost of a SGDA DYSLEXIA
assessment is R 2 500.
This amount includes R 300 to SGDA head office for marking and report generation as well as R 200 per copy of the book: Help! My Child has been diagnosed with Dyslexia. These books are available in English and Afrikaans. During comprehensive feedback sessions, parents should receive a copy of this book to enhance their understanding of this Specific Learning Disorder, called DYSLEXIA.
ICD 10 code = R 48.
Help my child has been diagnosed with Dyslexia
Help my kid is met disleksie gediagnoseer